Growth-focused companies – whether disruptive startups or innovative enterprises – are looking to push releases out quickly, frequently and confidently as they pursue market growth and transformative initiatives. Regardless of what development methodology they call upon, these companies are finding it essential to make quality assurance (QA) an integral part of their software development process, and to find a platform that supports their current testing needs and can scale as their development efforts grow. Below, we outline key considerations for selecting a QA platform to meet your needs.
Keeping Pace in a World Run By Software
As software development methodologies continually evolve and software delivery channels expand, companies must ensure their QA tools support their evolving needs. Whether your testers need to support agile, DevOps, or another development approach for testing software across mobile, browser or other software access channels, QA is critical to success.
Selecting the right QA platform should begin with a review of your current development methodologies, as well as what you plan to adopt in the future. For example, if you’re transitioning to agile, you’ll need a QA platform that supports testing as a part of each development sprint.
Without the right platform, companies may find themselves hampered by a set of disparate QA tools used across groups to support different development and testing approaches. Such decentralized use of critical tools leads to communication challenges and lack of transparency across teams.
Before settling on a particular QA platform, verify that the platform is committed to continually evolving to support the latest testing approaches and tester expectations. Take a look at recent release announcements, and ask to see their roadmap. If the platform you choose can’t keep up with the times, software quality can suffer and testers might choose to circumvent tools in favor of methods and tools they prefer.
Fueling Growth with The Right QA Platform
A partnership with the right vendor and platform will ensure your company can support its existing QA team, tools and approaches, address complex use cases without distracting from core jobs, and is positioned to scale with your team. In fact, such a platform can help a growth-focused company jump-start its initiatives to be more innovative.
Also worth considering is that platform vendors understand the value of a broader ecosystem and community of resources in the form of user conferences, product training, online resources and more as a catalyst for innovative ideas and processes.
With that in mind, here are the hallmarks of a QA testing platform that keeps pace with industry and customer needs:
- A healthy ecosystem, and a commitment to support best-of-breed integrations with the right tools, making it easy to hook into existing and new tools, support existing workflows and processes and enable a mix of development and testing approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to serve customers’ their strategic needs, shaped around a well-defined, forward-thinking roadmap. Look for case studies, testimonials and customer references.
- Covers end-to-end testing needs through a diverse tool stack, enabling better, faster testing.
- A substantial onboarding and training program or resources that encourage end-user adoption and help your team get up-to-speed quickly.
- Offers transparency into QA testing execution and status, while making it easy to identify, prioritize and resolve critical issues.
- Regularly releases enhancements and/or expands its portfolio of testing tools.
- Demonstrated industry knowledge and expertise, and a willingness to advise platform users on its strategic use.
- Augmented by broader resources – such as a community and user groups – that can help your team troubleshoot quickly.
While not exhaustive, the above list should help you narrow your list of potential vendors and quickly eliminate the ones that are not equipped fit for your needs, both now and in the future.
We just need a little info from you. We'll only ask you this once!